Hello! How are you guys? I know it’s been awhile since my last post. I needed some time to focus on my health. As you know I have had injury after injury and have not been able to lose the baby weight (after almost 2 years). I had enough so it was time to focus.
I started seeing a holistic nutritionist as a birthday gift to myself. We’ve meet 5 or 6 times so far and it has been what I’ve needed. To learn how to heal my body through food.
The first few weeks of my visits were working out what Carb, Protein, Fat ratios would work for me. I wasn’t restricted on what foods I could and couldn’t eat, just to focus on whole foods and my allotted ratios. Easy enough till we got to the carbs, which I thought I was doing great at. You’d be shocked at how much carbs are in your favorite foods!
This week has been a pivotal week. The week that something clicked, that things started changing, that I’m feeling the differences. I just couldn’t keep my findings to myself, so I knew it was time to blog again!
This week , I finally got a meal plan. This had been what I was waiting for every session I met with my nutritionist.
I wanted structure.
I wanted consistency. I wanted a guide.
My nutritionist put together a basic meal plan of eating the same thing daily for 1 week.
- Breakfast: Green smoothie
- Lunch: Salad with protein
- Snack 1: Fruit and nuts
- Snack 2: Carrots and avocado
- Dinner: Whatever I want as long as I stay within my carb/protein/fat ratio and eat from the four squares (carbs, veggies, starch, and protein)
If you know me at all, you know I was pumped about this.
Easy, simple and everything I like.
One week I got this….and I killed it!
I feel leaner, which could also do with adding weights back into my life.
I feel cleaner inside, not as much bloating or discomfort, like I’m doing something good for my body.
The only negative effect I have felt is like I’m detoxing, feeling blah and down. To spin that to a positive, it means what I’m doing is working because I am naturally detoxing!
What I really noticed had the biggest impact is having a green smoothie in the morning. I feel this super healthy change could benefit your health and fitness goals like it has to me.
I’m not saying you need to do this everyday for the rest of your life but maybe do it for 7 days when you feel bloated or have fallen off the healthy eating wagon.
I have the same recipe every morning because I love it:
- 1 c water
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1 tbsp chai seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 handfuls of kale
- 3 slices of cucumber
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 c frozen mangos
- 1 scoop collagen protein
- 3 ice cubes
The foods in this recipe are anti-inflammatory. I have realized my body has been inflamed, which caused my injuries and holding onto this unwanted weight. Besides helping with my inflammation, here are the other benefits I’ve noticed since drinking a green smoothie daily:
- Feel healthier. I feel like my insides are clean, that I’m doing something good for my body, that it’s enjoying what I’m fueling it with. There is less bloat and feeling like I over ate. Does that make sense?
- Craving healthier foods. I really want the foods that are on my meal plan. If I do stray (which has happened one day), it’s due to boredom or this feeling of detox going on. Recognizing that’s why I want non-healthy foods is HUGE for me. And also being okay with eating a small portion to curb the craving and knowing it will not derail my progress is even better!
- It’s a balanced meal. I get my protein, my carbs (fruit), and my fat (peanut butter and chia seeds) all in one cup. Bonus: It travels well! So for my on the go life it’s perfect!
- I am fuller longer. I usually like to eat my lunch at 11am since I’m an early bird, but I’ve actually been going longer. And when I am ready to eat, I’m not famished, just slightly hungry for more fuel.
I’ll probably stick to this for another week or so, especially since I’ll be traveling next week. Travel and getting my body on track do NOT agree….the water weight, the flying, the going out to eat…it’s too much. So having my green smoothie before I travel and when I come home will help me set the stage for eating health away and getting back on track when I come home.
Speaking of travel, should I write another post on how I’m changing things up when I travel to keep me on track with eating right and getting the workouts in? Let me know if that would help you guys out by posting YES in the comments below.
Till next time….Sparkle on!