Being fearLESS rocks!
I’m into my 4th week of training to become a health coach and loving every second of it. With each week that passes I feel more and more authentically myself. It’s kinda crazy!
My training is all online, but there is a TON of community and it’s so amazing to talk to people who think like me and get me. Refreshing! In fact one of them inspired me to start sharing what I’m learning now instead of waiting.
On my Instagram (@mind.body.sparkle), I started posting tips of what I’m learning. One of the tips I wanted to expand on here. Because this one is kinda a game changer!
When I started working with a nutritionist she taught me this tip and it was HUGE in my way of eating. In my first learning lesson, it was also discussed but this time I had the science behind it and it blew my mind.
What is it?
All day our blood sugar is going up and down based on stress, sleep, what we eat, etc. Those ups and downs cause our crashes, our cravings and poor health all around.
The solution is balancing what you eat at each meal.
The example I used in my Instagram post was my green smoothie. You know I love them so I’m going to use the same example here going into WHY I put these ingredients in my smoothie and what’s it’s doing to my body to help stop cravings, feel fuller and healthier.
- My base of any smoothie is always 1 c of water for hydration. In the morning we are already dehydrated from the nights sleep, so it’s important to reach for water first thing. For me, I also need the hydration since I work out in the AM.
- Then I add 1/2 a lemon squeezed to help detox my body from the workout and the night before.
- Next up is a huge handful of leafy greens, which are full of nutrients and vitamins. I tend to use kale or spinach, but you can use whatever you like.
- 4-5 slices of cucumber for more hydration and more veggies. Best part is you really can’t taste it once it’s all blended.
- 2-3 slices of green apple for fiber.
- 1/4 c frozen mango chunks because they are yummy.
- 1-2 scoops of collagen protein to fuel my muscles, skin and bones. This stuff is the bomb! It’s flavorless, packed with collagen and protein. So good for you! Protein helps fill you up.
- 1/4 tsp turmeric to help with inflammation.
- 1 tbsp chai seeds to provide fiber and omega 3, which are essential to our bodies in fueling it right and helping keep the blood sugar stable.
- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp nut butter for healthy fats.
- Ice to make it cold and a good consistency.
- Mix all together and enjoy all the health benefits + stable blood sugar + feeling fuller longer + less cravings!
This smoothie has a balance of leafy greens, protein, healthy fats and fiber. All ingredients to help keep your blood sugar stable so you are fuller longer, resist crashes and limit cravings.
Lesson is at each meal your plate should consist of healthy fats, protein, leafy greens and nutrient dense starchy vegetable (or fiber). Once you conquer this, you’ll be on your way to a healthy way of eating.
So next time you sit down to eat, ask yourself, “does this contain protein, health fats, leafy greens, and starchy veggies/fiber?” If not, think of how you can make it more balanced.
Till next time….Sparkle on!